Sunday, January 26, 2014

Origami Magic Ball

Thousands of creases are needed to start developing this Origami Magic Ball. 
This is an Origami Magic Ball. Worldwide enthusiasts spend hours folding a rectangular piece of paper to accomplish a unique effect: a flexible sphere that can be molded in several different ways.
This particular model was completed by my brother Ricardo, a medical doctor passionate about origami, films, and nature. After spending many hours interpreting the folding method, he embarked in the project of making a big ball; one he could use as a lamp, or as a standing sculpture.
People who are brave enough to follow origami instructions, either from a book or an online source, understand the challenge that lies ahead. Not only should they be fluent in origami language, but they also need precision, perseverance, discipline, and a lot of patience. Besides, it is crucial to understand paper’s properties in order to use the right one for every piece.
To do this particular origami figure, Ricardo used two full size sheets of paper that he folded over a few days, when time allowed. When finished, he had a gorgeous origami sculpture that could be displayed in different shapes: a sphere, a cylinder, and a V shape design. During the holidays, the magic ball was at my dad’s home. Visitors paid compliments to my brother’s work every time they saw it.
After several conversations about the future of this ball, Ricardo decided that I could have it.  Undoubtedly, it was an act of love and selflessness, since it was his valued treasure because of the time and effort it represented.
In order to maintain its shape during the 2200 miles that separate Medellin from Dallas, he carefully and precisely folded the magic ball. We could not find sturdy enough material to wrap it up, so I it was decided that I would take it alongside my carry-on bag. 
We successfully passed through security checkups, lines, boarding areas, throngs of people coming back from vacation, and two of the flights we had to take. However, between the excitement of using my American passport for the first time, filling the customs form, meeting my mother, and locating the checked bags, I committed the unthinkable: I left the origami magic ball on the airplane’s chair.   
As I waited for my luggage, I remembered the ball. However, according to the United Airlines personnel, it was too late to recover my art piece. They said that the airplane had been cleaned and there were not recovered objects. Despite describing the ball and its value, neither security agents, baggage employees, nor customer service representatives were able to help.

My heart still aches when I think about it. I have not even had the courage to tell Ricardo about it, though I suspect that he knows because he has not asked about it. I have already filled two reports for lost items, but I know my chances of recovering it are dimming. I can only find relief in knowing that my brother has the skill to recreate this sculpture and many more, and that these photographs will always talk about his enthusiasm for creating art with paper.  
Ricardo enjoys spreading around the joy of origami! 

No comments:

Post a Comment